Garmin and cell phones
Garmin made a number of cell phone related announcements while at CTIA:
- Upgrades to Garmin Mobile for a wide range of phones, including a more nuvi-like interface and access to Google Local search
- Garmin will provide navigation for select Samsung phones
- There is a free seven-day trial of Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry for Centennial BlackBerry 8300 phones
- nTelos is the first to take advantage of Garmin Mobiles's BREW application compatibility
More cell phone news
- Loopt social mapping comes to Verizon
- VZ Navigator gets new features including live traffic and gas prices
- Voice recognition comes to TeleNav
More Garmin news
- Garmin is hyping My-Cast for the iPhone and iPod Touch; since this is a Garmin subsidiary, how long till we get weather radar overlays on our nuvis?
- And why doesn't Garmin automatically enable WAAS?
- Garmin has posted a new version of Training Center for Mac
- Garmin has also posted several Bluetooth firmware updates -- for nuvis, zumos and the StreetPilot c550
- A tip for pairing a nuvi and a Blackberry
- Forerunner 405 photos
- Free Geography Tools continues their series on Garmin POIs with this post on creating custom POI icons
- Garmin announces a $200 marine rebate, a $30 Inland Lakes upgrade rebate and a $1250 aviation rebate
- Budget rental trucks to get Garmin GPS
- TomTom launches a new portal
- TomTom drops the price on the GO 920 ahead of the 930's release, scheduled for later this month
- A brief TomTom Eclipse review
GPS in the news
- A handheld GPS can help if you're lost, but this is not the preferred way
- Cache In, Trash Out, the weekend of April 19 and 20 (via About.com)
- Using GPS to fight pirates
- A little info on privacy protection for Dash users in this article
- XM NavTraffic expands to 22 2009 GM models
- TrafficCast announced a new partnership with GeoMicro this week, but what caught my eye was some of the smaller markets they have coverage for
All the news that doesn't fit
- An interesting pattern on this windshield break around a GPS suction mount
- The EU expands their review of Nokia's acquisition of NAVTEQ
- A screen capture program for maps (via Navigadget)
- Tiger data available in shapefile format
- The Map Room turns five
- Mio announces a Mio Community website (though I don't really see a forum)
- OkMap is mapping software that looks similar to OziExplorer
- NAVTEQ continues to work on micro-level mapping of events, etc.
- NAVTEQ announces LBS challenge winners
- B&B's to be included in POI US database
Update GPS reviews
- DeLorme PN-20 review - I've linked to the DeLorme blog's hidden features of the PN-20 post.
- Garmin Colorado 400t review - I've linked to reviews from GPS Lodge and Geeks to go.
- Garmin nuvi 360 review - PC World Canada reviews this perennial favorite.
- Garmin nuvi 760 review - I've linked to a brief user review.
- Garmin StreetPilot c550 review - Here is a comparison of the c550 and the TomTom GO 920.
- Magellan Maestro 3210 review - Ben's Bargains has posted a review.
- Mio C720 review - PC World Canada posts a brief review.
- TomTom GO 920 review - I've linked to reviews from the Toronto Sun and PC World, as well as the aforementioned comparison with the Garmin StreetPilot c550.