Waypoints is a weekly posting of GPS news shorts...
- Win a Garmin nuvi 650 from NJection.com, which offers speed trap and red light camera databases for Garmin GPS.
- Free Geography Tools continues its Garmin POI series with posts on creating a custom POI file and managing custom POI data.
- A picture of the nuvi 800 series remote control.
- Garmin has posted firmware updates for the nuvi 750, 760 and 770, and the Quest 2.
More GPS hardware
Custom maps and mapmaking
- MiscJunk posts Montana topo maps for Garmin GPS receivers.
- A Northwest (Washington state primarily) trails map for Garmin devices. Via Groundspeak.
- Convert cGPSmapper (Garmin) maps to Lowrance.
- A PDF on making custom maps for Magellan devices. Via GPS Software Hub.
- Another review of the Solmeta DP-GPS N1 for geotagging photos. Via The Map Room.
- The Map Room also links to a three part guide to geotagging.
GPS and Macs
- Garmin has posted new versions of MapInstall and MapManager for Macs.
- MacGPS Pro 7.6 adds support for the Garmin Colorado series. Also via The Map Room.
The business of GPS
- EU extends the TomTom/Tele Atlas deal review period.
- Garmin to strike deal with Nokia?
- SiRF cuts jobs, shutters offices.
- Garmin inks an exclusive deal with Kenwood.
Cell phones and GPS
- Is Apple planning to upgrade the iPhone to 3G? Personally, I'm waiting on the 3.5G Garmin nuvifone.
- Another Trimble Geocache Navigator review.
- deCarta announces a new two-way connectivity service. Sounds like they'll be looking for partners at CTIA next week. More from GPS Business News (free registration required).
- Garmin has posted an updated version of Mobile XT for Windows.
- Here's a questionable business model -- Wayfinder to release free mobile GPS app and make money selling topo maps!
- A NOAA chart mashup.
- 40 TB of new imagery for Virtual Earth. Via Mapperz.
- And there's a new release of Virtual Earth coming with improved features.
- China is cracking down on mapping sites.
- New Street View cities.
- And a Street View API.
- DeLorme has a new blog, with a strong emphasis on the PN-20.
- A cool looking but pricey bike GPS.
- There is a GPX developer's forum at Yahoo. Via TopoShare.
Updated GPS reviews
- Garmin Colorado 400t review - Modern Hiker reviews the 400t. I've also linked to Garmin's Colorado FAQs and the info on multiple geocaching views presented in GC16 of this FAQ. I've added the last two links to my Colorado 300 review as well.
- Garmin Forerunner 305 review - I've linked to a review by Audioholics and part four of Addicted to Running's ongoing review series.
- Garmin nuvi 760 review - ComputerWorld reviews this popular unit.
- Garmin nuvi 780 review - The first consumer-authored review has been posted at Amazon.
- Magellan Maestro 4250 review - The Washington Post compares the 4250 with something called the V7 Nav740.
- TomTom ONE XL review - A review from Down Under.
- TomTom GO 920 review - A brief, but positive review of using this unit in Europe.