UPDATE: Read about the latest with our Garmin Forerunner 405 review.
The Garmin Forerunner 205 is a stylish update of the Forerunner 201. But don't judge it just by looks. The 205 has the new SiRFSTAR III chipset that has been garnering rave reviews for its amazing performance under canopy, in urban canyons, and even indoors!
The primary difference between this unit and the Forerunner 305, is that the 305 has a heart-rate monitor; the 205 does not.
Here's what the editors at Amazon had to say in their Garmin Forerunner 205 review:
"...Weighing in at just over 2.5 ounces, the Garmin Forerunner 205 breaks new ground in terms of comfort, style, and performance. Totally redesigned, the 205 gives outdoor athletes and runners real-time information about speed, distance, and pace on a device that's easy to use and amazingly compact. The Forerunner 205 features the powerful new SiRF GPS navigation chip for supreme accuracy, even under tree cover and between tall buildings. The unit's GPS receiver is designed to face towards the sky when you're running. A more watch-like design makes it far easier to use and wear. Plus, the 205 is engineered to help folks train better and smarter. Training assistant tools, various distance and time alerts, and bundled Training Center PC software combine to make the device an essential part of any athlete's training program..."
Here's what others are saying about the Forerunner 205:
- GPS Information.net has published their Forerunner 205 review.
- John Sun checks out his new toy for the first week in this Forerunner 205 review.
- RPV Blogster includes lots of screenshots in his Garmin Forerunner 205 review.
- Customers are starting to post reviews of the Forerunner 205 at Amazon.
- Garmin Forerunner 205 reviews are also starting to show up at CNet.
- A trail jogger has posted a Forerunner 205 review.
- Offcamber.com has also posted a Garmin Forerunner 205 review.
- Half-fast reviews the Garmin Forerunner 205.
- This Man Runs posts a brief Garmin Forerunner 205 review.
- Black Athlete reviews the Forerunner 205.
- Kaizenlog has also posted a Forerunner 205 review.
- Singletracks reviews the Forerunner 205.
I’ll be posting more hands-on reviews as they appear, but in the meantime, here are some other resources that may prove helpful:
- A link to PDF version of the Forerunner 205 owners manual.
- Want to see how the Forerunner 205 stacks up against other units? Use this handy Garmin GPS comparison tool.
- There is an excellent Garmin Forerunner message forum at Yahoo.
- How to swim with a Forerunner.
- How to transfer race plans and workouts to your Forerunner.
Compare prices on the Garmin Forerunner 205 at these merchants:
- Get the current Garmin Forerunner 205 price at Amazon.
- Check out the deal on a Garmin Forerunner 205 at REI.com, where satisfaction is guaranteed and members get 10% back on eligible purchases.
- Find the Garmin Forerunner 205 for an amazing price at eBay.
Here is the product description from the official Garmin Forerunner 205 web page:
Form meets function with Garmin's next-generation, sleek and stylish line of personal trainers — the Forerunner 205 & 305. Don't let their good looks fool you. These taskmasters will continually push you to do your personal best. In addition to it's new look, the Forerunner 205 includes a high sensitivity GPS receiver and new courses feature for optimal performance.
Designed for athletes of all levels, this running partner and personal trainer has one goal in mind — a better you. It continuously monitors your speed, distance, pace and calories burned so you can train smarter, more effectively. It tracks your every move with a super-sensitive GPS that even works on tree-covered trails and near tall buildings. Receive a detailed post-workout analysis on the PC with included Training Center™ software.
The Forerunner 205 keeps you on track with innovative features including:
- New! Sleek, stylish, lightweight design that "wraps" the GPS antenna around part of the wrist for a better view of the sky, improving reception during training
- New! High sensitivity GPS receiver provides faster acquisition times and improves tracking under trees and near tall buildings
- New! Customizable screens let you view up to 12 data fields on 3 data screens for immediate feedback on the information you need most when training
- Multi-sport™ capability lets you seamlessly transition between sports without resetting the unit, so you can use it for running, biking, and more
- Easy to use — no calibration required. Just turn it on and go
Customize your Forerunner 205 to get the most out of your training. To help you achieve your personal best, the Forerunner 205 includes the following smart features:
- New! Courses feature lets you download recorded courses and compete against previous workouts
- Auto Pause® pauses and resumes training timer based on a specified speed so you never have to start or stop the timer
- Auto Lap® records lap data when you reach a specified time, distance or position so you never have to punch the lap button
- Virtual Partner™ lets you train against a digital person at specified time, distance or pace goals
- AutoScroll™ cycles through data pages during a workout
Included Training Center software helps you tailor workouts to meet specific goals and objectives. Create your own workouts or use workout templates included on the CD. Interactive analysis tools let you chart performance overlaid on a map.
Data acquired by the Forerunner may also be analyzed with MotionBased.com, a web-based application that has partnered with Garmin. MotionBased™ provides in-depth analysis of your workouts, online mapping and route sharing that will take your training to the next level. Endurance athletes may also use the Forerunner with TrainingPeaks.com, an easy-to-use web based training system designed to help athletes train for any event.
Forerunner 205: You'll like the results