The Garmin Edge 205, designed for cyclists, is similar to the more powerful Edge 305, with three notable exceptions. The 205 does not have the capacity to act as a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor, and it relies on GPS for elevation data, whereas the 305 has a barometric altimeter. The 205 does however, have the same new SiRFSTARIII chipset, which has been getting rave reviews for acquisition time and awesome coverage under canopy, in urban canyons and even indoors!
One caveat about the Edge series. These are very nice cyclometers, but if you are looking for a navigation device, you would be better off purchasing a Garmin handheld, and getting a bike mount for it.
Here's what the editors at Amazon have to say in their Garmin Edge 205 review:
"Whether you're prepping for your next ride or just want a more accurate way to measure your performance on the trails, the Garmin Edge 205 GPS-enabled Personal Trainer and Cycle Computer can help. The Edge 205 is easy to use, requires no calibration, and features customizable screens and data fields to meet your needs. Measuring speed, distance, time, calories burned, altitude, climb, descent, and more, the Edge 205 will help you to always know where you are and how far you've gone..."
More Garmin Edge 205 reviews
- Reviews of the Edge 205 have been posted by a number of consumers on Amazon.
- Singletracks.com has posted a Garmin Edge 205 review.
- Mike Wendland posts his own Garmin Edge 205 review.
- The Bike Geek has posted a detailed review of the Garmin Edge 205.
- Muddymoles has also posted Garmin Edge 205 review.
- Netlobo reviews the Garmin Edge 205.
I'll be posting more hands-on reviews as they show up online. Until then, here's some...
Other Garmin Edge 205 resources
- A link to a PDF version of the Edge 205 owners manual.
- Want to see how the Edge 205 stacks up against other units? Use this handy Garmin GPS comparison tool.
- There is a Foretrex, Forerunner and Edge message forum at Yahoo.
- How to transfer race plans and workouts to your Edge.
Compare prices on the Garmin Edge 205 at these merchants:
- Find the current Edge 205 price at Amazon.com.
- Get the Garmin Edge 205 for an amazing price on eBay.
Here's the product description from the official Garmin Edge 205 web page:
Take your ride to the next level with the Edge 205—Garmin's GPS-enabled personal trainer and cycle computer. Perfect for touring and the trails, the lightweight Edge is the ultimate fitness partner. With the easy-to-use Edge 205 on your bike, you always know where you're going and how far you've gone. For advanced cyclists, the Edge 305 is available with either a heart rate monitor or a wireless speed/pedaling cadence sensor to help you achieve your personal best.
The Edge 205 measures speed, distance, time, calories burned, altitude, plus much more. 205 features include:
- Easy-to-install—no calibration required. Just snap it in the included bike mount and go
- High-sensitivity GPS receiver—knows your position even in tree cover and canyons, making it extremely reliable for navigation
- Customizable cycle computer—shows up to eight different data fields for continuous feedback
- Virtual Partner™—lets you "race" a virtual competitor, making training fun
- Courses—lets you "race" against a recorded course to try to match previously set speeds at every point along the way
- Auto Pause™—pauses the training timer when you slow down below a specified speed and resumes when you speed up again so you can focus on your ride
- Auto Lap ™—automatically triggers a lap every time you pass a specified location or travel a preset distance
- Training Center software—gives you the ability to create workouts, manage and download courses, and create a detailed post-ride analysis that charts your performance
With its waterproof, sleek design, the Edge is the perfect companion on any bike, and attaches to either the stem or handlebars. Its rugged case frames an easy-to-read, large, backlit display that can show up to eight different data fields along with altitude and a map view.
Included Training Center software gives you the ability to overlay your ride data onto a course map. It offers interactive analysis tools that measure your speed, distance, climb, and descent against varying terrain, elevation and more. Create and schedule custom workouts or use workout templates and download to the Edge.
Cyclists: get your Edge from Garmin.