I had the opportunity to try out a Garmin Forerunner 301 recently when I used it to test out the online mapping software provided by Motionbased.com. The Forerunner is a very nice, lightweight (only 2.6 ounces!) GPS receiver that straps to your wrist. Ideal for runners, this flagship Forerunner model includes a heart rate monitor as well.
Now I go at outdoor activities fairly aggressively, but I consider myself an explorer, not an athelete in training. And while the Forerunner was a lot of fun, it is best suited for those wanting to track their heart rate and performance. It is not a great navigation device. Sure, it can point you in the direction of a waypoint, or navigate along a route, but most GPS receivers have much more flexibility when it comes to navigation. The 301 suffers from a limit of 100 waypoints, and you cannot upload tracks to it. But here's an amazing statistic...the 301 is the top selling GPS on Amazon! I'm betting there are a lot of runners and lightweight backpackers who consider this the ideal receiver.
Here's what others are saying about the Garmin Forerunner 301:
- Dozens of readers have posted Forerunner 301 reviews at Amazon.com.
- Outside Online has a review of the Forerunner 301.
- Geek.com's Garmin Forerunner 301 review also provides dozens of user comments for you to read.
Here are some other resources that may prove helpful:
- A PDF version of the Forerunner 301 owners manual.
- Want to see how the Forerunner stacks up against other units? Use this helpful Garmin GPS comparison tool.
- There is even a Garmin Forerunner message forum at Yahoo!
- How to swim with a Forerunner.
Compare prices on the Garmin Forerunner 301 at these merchants:
- Check the current Garmin Forerunner 301 price at Amazon.com.
- Get a great deal on the Garmin Forerunner 301 at eBay.
From Garmin's Forerunner 301 page:
Whether you are a triathlete in training or just want to see tangible results, the Forerunner 301 sets the pace with innovative features:
- Compact, lightweight and waterproof with an easy-to-read display on an ergonomic wristband
- Embedded GPS sensor provides basic navigation capabilities to tell you how far, how fast, even how to get home.
- Digital coded heart rate monitor so you can see whether you are training too hard or not enough
- Training Center software, a powerful PC-based application that lets you analyze and create workouts
- Highly flexible — offers multiple sports profiles so you can use it for running, biking and other sports.
- Easy to use — no calibration required. Just turn it on and go. Customize your Forerunner 301 to get the most out of your training.
To help you achieve your personal best, the Forerunner 301 includes the following smart features:
- Auto Pause™ pauses and resumes training timer based on a specified speed so you never have to start or stop the timer
- Auto Lap™ records lap data when you reach a specified distance so you never have to punch the lap button
- AutoLearn™ feature learns user’s heart rate zones, adjusting them as fitness levels improve
- Virtual Partner™ lets you train against a specified time, distance or pace goals
- AutoScroll cycles through data pages during a workout
Technorati tags: GPS